The Credit Institute (1932-1991)
By taking over the deposits of the Banca Agricola Italiana, in 1931 the Istituto extended its structure to Piedmont and Liguria and in 1932 obtained the status of Credit Institution of Public Law and a new name: Istituto di San Paolo di Torino.
At the beginning of the 20th century, in the years of the industrial take-off of Torino, besides supporting the development of the infrastructures and the municipalization of the essential services with loans to the City and the Province, San Paolo financed the establishment of the Istituto delle case popolari (1907) and directly intervened in the field of workers’ education and technical education. It also played an important role in the construction of the new building of the Ospedale Maggiore at the Molinette Hospital Complex, completed in 1935.
At the end of 1991, within the legal framework introduced by the “Amato-Carli” Law, the bank took the legal form of a stockholding company, the Istituto Bancario San Paolo di Torino S.pA., while the social activity took – in homage to its history – the name of Compagnia di San Paolo. Today the Compagnia is a foundation of private law, governed by the Articles of Association adopted in March 2000.