• to combat and limit the effects of mental illness in its various manifestations
• to integrate, when necessary, clinical interventions by the Department of Mental Health with the initiatives of social support provided by the Volunteer Associations
• to accompany and support patients in activities to materially rebuild their lives
• to supply psychological and relational support to family members
• to create cultural and social initiatives in order to reduce the associated stigma and processes of marginalisation
Il Bandolo is for people between 18 and 65 years of age and their families, living in Turin, who find themselves in difficulty because of mental pathologies that limit their capacity for interpersonal and social relations.
The services provided include various activities of social support that are structured on a case by case basis:
• A dedicated telephone line giving access to activities and psychological support
• Support for at-home care
• Orientation and placement in the world of work
• Leisure activities
• Temporary assisted housing
• Meetings offering psychological support, psycho-educational courses and AMA (self-mutual help) groups for family members
• Information counter for families
The initiatives to support patients and their families are integrated by other, unrelated activities, such as recruiting and training new volunteers, communications, monitoring, and other activities that are deemed useful in carrying out the project and coherent with its goals.
As a consequence of the increased reciprocal awareness and the consolidation of the networking between the partner Bodies, the possibility of giving legal status to Il Bandolo was positively evaluated. The new onlus (non-lucrative organisation of social utility), Associazione Il Bandolo, was constituted on November 20, 2007.
Department of Mental Health of the ASL (local health departments) of Turin
Associazione Arcobaleno Onlus
Associazione Evoluzione Self Help Onlus
Associazione Insieme Onlus
Associazione per la Lotta contro le Malattie Mentali Onlus
Onlus Casa Bordino
DI.A.PSI. Piemonte - Difesa Ammalati Psichici Onlus
The dedicated telephone line for support is active seven days a week, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Tel + 39 011 2302727